Medical Institutions

Return to Guide


The Netherlands has universal healthcare, but the government requires all adults living or working in the Netherlands to have basic insurance. Since we are temporary visitors from outside the EU/EEA/Switzerland, we need to purchase a health insurance from a private company, such as InsureToStudy, Allianz and AON.

However, if at any stage you end up working part-time, you may be required to switch your insurance to Dutch Basic Insurance. If this is the case, check if you are eligible for zorgtoeslag (healthcare benefits) from the government.

Registering for Healthcare

There are a lot of steps required to register for healthcare in Eindhoven, but there’s always a lot of help available. In our city we have an international clinic – SGE International Healthcare Service, located all across Eindhoven. To register to this clinic, these are the steps that you can follow:

  1. Register yourself as a patience through their website or come to the clinic
  2. Once you fill the registration form online, you need to bring your proof of identity to the clinic. The documents that you need to prepare for the registration are:
    • Your passport / ID card / driver’s license
    • BSN number
    • Insurance card
    • Your address in Eindhoven
    • Information related to your medical history and condition
  3. After that, you can either make an appointment online, by call or at the clinic to see your GP

General Practitioner

The government advises all citizens to have their own GP (General Practitioner). A GP is a house doctor, or huisarts as it is known in Dutch, that plays a very important role in health care. They are the first help that you go to regarding your medical needs or condition. Your GP will recommend you if you need to see a specialist or receive certain treatments. However, most GP’s will only register you as their patient, if you live in the service area of their practice. That is because your GP must be able to reach your home address within 15 minutes in emergencies. It is best if you register with a GP, as soon as you know where you live.

There are different types of hospitals in Eindhoven:

  1. Those attached to universities, which carry out medical research, have the most advanced medical equipment and treatments, and can offer the most specialized care.
  2. Teaching hospitals, training medics, and nurses also offer some specialized treatments.
  3. General hospitals deal with more routine conditions.

Unfortunately, not all hospitals have emergency rooms. If you need medical assistance in an emergency situation call 112 or call the Central Doctors’ Service on +31 (0) 20 592 34 34 if you do not need an ambulance, but are in urgent need of medical advice. If you need to go to the hospital, Catharina Ziekenhuis is the first help hospital in Eindhoven.